A great number of events have been organised throughout Ireland and Scotland as part of Colmcille 1500. We are delighted to report that the Colmcille programme of Foras na Gaeilge has given commissions to a range of artists in Ireland and Scotland to ensure that the commemoration will have an enduring legacy.
Talking of the the song she composed as part of the series of commissions, Pádraigín Ní Uallacháin said “There is a link between Ireland and Scotland, both arts and work, right and wrong. There are also the themes of peace, exile and his stand with the artists of his day both poets and visual artists”. The song ‘Colm Bán na Síochána’ can be heard as part of the video ‘Coinneal Cholmclle’ Colm Bán na Síochána by Pádraigín Ní Uallacháin
Scottish poet and singer Marcas Mac an Tuairneir will present a series of multimedia poetry videos in Scottish, Irish and Manx Gaelic.
Among the projects coming as part of the Colmcille 1500 series of commissions are:
• A Poster of Ireland and Scotland featuring key places linked to Colmcille produced by Seek Design, which will be avaiable with the Irish Times ón the birthday of Colmcille, the 7th December.
• A Novel for teenagers entitled Colm Cille, by Feargal Ó Bearra.
• A Sculpture based on the Book of Kells by artisit John McCarron, which will be unveiled on the Feast of Colmcille, the 9th June 2022.
• An art film in Scottish and Irish Gaelic by Déirdre Ní Mhathúna on the Gaelic psalm singing tradition in the Western Isles.
• A Multimedia production from the renowned Armagh Rhymers, featuring a bell in the medieval style.
• Radio documentary Colm Cille: Cosantóir na mBan (Protector of Women). Broadcaster Áine Ní Bhreisleáin will discuss a very interesting aspect of the heritage of Colm Cille with historians and folklorists. To be broadcast on RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta on the 29 December at 2pm – available here – Protector of Women
• Musician composition and multimedia production by the harper and composer Úna Monaghan in collaboration with some of the best Irish and Scottish artists.